80GG allows the individuals to claim a deduction in respect of house rent paid. 80GG is a deduction under Chapter VI-A of the Income Tax Act, 1961. It has been introduced to provide relief to those individuals who do not receive any house rent allowance but are paying rent for the stay.
Eligiblity to Claim Tax Deductions under Section 80GG:
- Deduction is applicable to eligible salaried and self-employed professionals.
- Individual and HUF are allowed exemption under this section.
- A company cannot claim house rent deductions.
- The taxpayer himself or his spouse or Minor Child or HUF of which he is a member should not own any accommodation at the place where he is employed or carries on his business or profession.
- Assessee need to fill and submit Form 10BA to declare that he is not claiming benefit of Self-Occupied Property on a house in any other location or in the same location as he is employed.
- Non-resident Indians are also eligible to claim tax benefits under this provision.
Deduction under Section 80GG:
Quantum of deduction shall be the least of the following:
- Actual Rent paid minus 10 percent the adjusted total income.
- 5,000/- per month.
- 25% of Adjusted Total Income
The maximum deduction allowed under Section 80GG is Rs 60,000 per annum which means Rs 5000 per month.
For more details contact out team at +91-7991109093 or drop email us at [email protected]
Note: This Post was last updated on January 23, 2023
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this document have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation i.e. January 23, 2023. Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, We assume no responsibility therefore. Users of this information are expected to refer to the relevant existing provisions of applicable Laws. The user of the information agrees that the information is not a professional advice and is subject to change without notice. We assume no responsibility for the consequences of use of such information. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGE RESULTING FROM, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE INFORMATION.