A Nidhi Company is a company registered under Section 406 of Companies Act, 2013. It is a non-banking finance company doing the business of lending and borrowing with its members or shareholders.
It is registered as a public company and should have “Nidhi Limited” as the last words of its name. Nidhi Company can be incorporated with a minimum seven members and out of these 7 members, 3 members must be the director of the company. However, Nidhi Company has various restriction and prohibitions which it must follow.
Rule 6 – General Restrictions on a Nidhi Company:
According to this Rule no Nidhi shall-
- Carry on the business of chit fund or leasing finance or hire purchase finance or insurance or acquisition of securities issued by body corporates
- Issue preference shares / debentures / any other debt instruments
- Open any current account with its members
- Accept deposits or lend to any person other than members
- Advertise for itself asking for a deposit
- Pledge any of the assets lodged by its members as security
- Enter into any arrangement for the change of its management, unless it has passed a special resolution in its general meeting and also obtained the previous approval of the Regional Director having jurisdiction over Nidhi
- Pay any brokerage or incentive for mobilizing deposits from members or for deployment of funds or the granting loans
- Carry on any business other than the business of borrowing or lending in its own name; provided that Nidhi is which have adhered to all the provisions of these rules may provide:
- locker facilities on rent to its members subject to the rental income from such facilities
- not exceeding 20% of the gross income of the Nidhi
- at any point of time during a financial year.
For more details contact out team at +91-7991109093 or drop email us at [email protected]
Note: This Post was last updated on January 18, 2023
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this document have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation i.e. January 18, 2023. Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, We assume no responsibility therefore. Users of this information are expected to refer to the relevant existing provisions of applicable Laws. The user of the information agrees that the information is not a professional advice and is subject to change without notice. We assume no responsibility for the consequences of use of such information. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGE RESULTING FROM, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE INFORMATION.